We showed random strings of text to two digital cameras simultaneously using an e-ink display and a beamsplitter arrangement (half-transparent mirror at 45° angle). One of the cameras was properly focused while the other one was progressively misfocused, and sporting a neutral density filter, resulting in blurred and noisy images.
We recorded also images of dots and other technical targets with the same camera settings that we used for the actual targets. This makes it easier for the competitors to estimate the PSFs empirically.
The test dataset is now available here https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.5713637
The New version 1.1 of the data with 10 additional steps is available here https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4916176
The Old version 1.0 of the data is still available here https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4772280
You can find all the details of the measurement of the public dataset in this ArXiv preprint: http://arxiv.org/abs/2105.10233
Note: The publicly available dataset will not be used by the committee for measuring the quality of the algorithms submitted to the challenge. These are reserved for developing the algorithms. We measured some extra data for that. The PSFs are the same as in the categories of the public dataset. However, the targets are slightly different in a way that will be made public only after the deadline.